Fire Safety Regulations are a set of fire safety rules that builders have to follow when constructing a building, to reduce the risk of a fire. While there is a National Building Code (NBC), all the States in India also have their own regulations, depending on the type of building being constructed. Buildings are graded from A-J and are used to indicate Residential, Educational, Institutional, Storage Buildings, and more. Fire department officials are required to conduct regular checks in all buildings, to ensure that the rules are being followed. It is essential for fire safety standards in India to be maintained, as they reduce the risk of sudden fires to a great extent.
Why do We Need Fire Safety Rules and Regulations?
- Without proper direction, some measures may be forgotten or ignored, which can later prove to be disastrous.
- Fire Safety Regulations help save lives, by preventing a fire from occurring due to negligence.
- Fire can damage property, which is expensive to restore. Fire safety regulations can help prevent a fire from spreading to other areas and causing excessive damage.
- Fire safety regulations help eliminate hazardous materials and keep flammable materials and liquids away from ignition points.
Key Areas Assessed For Fire Safety Regulations
- Firefighting equipment such as fire extinguishers and fire suppression systems.
- Emergency exits and evacuation routes.
- Plan for emergency evacuation.
- Removal or safe storage of fire hazards such as flammable substances.
- Fire safety training for occupants of the building.
- Installation of fire alarms and communication devices to alert occupants of the building in case of a fire.
Important Regulations to Keep in Mind
- The National Building Code classifies buildings, depending on occupancy, as well as fire zones. Each category has a few variations from the common regulations.
- The National Building Code also covers some key points about the installation of fire suppression systems, fire alarms, and firefighting equipment.
- Part 4 of the National Building Code is concerned with life and safety, wherein plumbing, electrical wiring, ventilation etc. standards are specified. Various height and construction limits are also mentioned for each fire zone.
- According to Section 3 of the Maharashtra Life Prevention and Life Safety Measures Act, all builders must comply with the fire safety rules and regulations. Additionally, reports must be updated regularly, failing which, they are eligible to be penalized.
A fire can cause significant damage to life, as well as property. Following Fire Safety Rules and Regulations may not completely prevent a fire, but they ensure that the risk of a fire is drastically reduced. Ensuring that the adequate measures are undertaken in case of a fire is essential to make sure that occupants of the building safely escape. There are various fire fighting contractors in India, who can help you make sure that all these regulations are taken care of. Acufire Systems Pvt. Ltd. is the best fire contractors in Pune, who install fire alarms, fire suppression systems, and also offer fire safety training.
Visit Acufire Systems Pvt. Ltd. for more information about our services and products.